Flushing plastics down the (figurative) drain

While Plastic Free July has come and gone for the year, the habits I learned from undertaking the challenge are here to stay. And August was the month for focusing my attention on the space in my house where the most plastics live: the bathroom.

A glance around my washroom at the beginning of Plastic Free July revealed single-use plastics e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e. On the counter, in the shower, and in the cupboard. However, since many of the bottles were still near-full, I vowed to spend August investigating alternatives.

The replacements

Some of my bathroom products have run out. And then there were others I was just too excited to try and added them to the "loo list". Here are the three key changes I have made thus far in that most personal of places.

Bar soap. My liquid soap refill is nearly empty and a bar of bee pollen soap sits at the ready for handwashing (made by SoapWorks and available at Full Circle Foods). I will be following this up with an oatmeal option in the shower as soon as the shower gel is done. Why we ever made the move away from bar soap is a mystery to me. But I'm glad to be back on the bar bandwagon! In addition to being less wasteful, it is less harsh on one's skin. Plus, I now get to go shopping for a locally handcrafted soap dish. I can't wait!!

Tin of deodorant creamDeodorant. I must admit, I very skeptically gave a tin of deodorant cream a try this month (from local business, EarthSplash). My skepticism was not due to the cream itself, but rather the doubt the product would be effective enough to warrant the 40% price increase from my usual aluminum-free brand.

It is!!!

Not only do I feel super fresh when I first put it on, I stay fresh throughout the day (and don't get that faint whiff of deodorant fragrance late in the afternoon... you know the one I'm talking about ;)). What's more, it comes in a reusable tin that the store will take back for reuse. And, because it's in a tin, I use ALL of the product. I am not throwing the bit of deodorant that is always leftover in the stick - not to mention the plastic stick itself - in the garbage.

Reusable panty liner with care card in backgroundPeriod products. Here is a good example of an area where someone was already making a decent effort, but could be doing more. I have been applicator-free since university days (which is, gulp, over a decade) and the panty liners I use come unwrapped in a cardboard box. Not bad, not bad.

But we can all do better. Each of my unwrapped liners still has a plastic backing paper. Not to mention the bleach and potential microplastics in the liners themselves. Therefore, I gave reusable liners a try. A wonderful woman in Eastern Ontario is behind Garden of Eden, making reusable period and incontinence products herself and shipping them in a reusable and biodegradable envelope. I highly recommend. I actually feel as though I'm caring for my body now - and not treating it as an inconvenience or an afterthought.

Next steps

Activated charcoal toothpaste, refilling shampoo and conditioner at the bulk store, and finding an improved option to my reusable plastic razor with disposable heads. These are next in line for waste and plastic reduction efforts. And then my home will be much closer to plastic-free.

And remember: We don't need a handful of people who are perfect at zero waste. We need millions of people doing zero waste imperfectly. If my lazy butt can do it, you can too :).

Happy plastic reducing!!


Comments