The Zero Waste Challenge: Over but not done

It's Saturday and the end of the Zero Waste Challenge. Seven days of putting my garbage in a 750mL glass jar.
So, how'd it go? The answer: Not at all bad! Here's what I have taken away from participating in the Zero Waste Challenge.

It's easier with each challenge 
Collage of zero waste collection jar at beginning, middle and end of the challenge
My Zero Waste jar at beginning, middle,
and challenge end

Partaking in Plastic Free July meant that, when the time came for the Zero Waste Challenge, I had already adopted some of the habits necessary for success. I had already experienced the discomfort and growth that comes with reflecting on our existing ways and changing our habits for the better. This challenge was a welcome check-in on where I am at in persisting with those new and improved habits, as well as a welcome reminder that there are still ways in which I can do even more for our planet. The items that still get me:
  • Q-tips (I'm no longer waiting on this box to empty and will be moving to a reusable ASAP)
  • Produce stickers
  • Bottle caps and fake corks

Green bin programs have a long way to go

I put my compostables in a separate container for this challenge. Why? When Waterloo Region (WR) made the decision to no longer do curbside pick-up for multi-residential units, the environment suffered significantly. Townhouse corporations were forced to pay for their own waste collection and, to help offset the significant cost increase this expense created, compost pick-up was dropped by many complexes. As such, while more local businesses are switching to compostable alternatives, with more and more WR residents moving into multi-residential units without composting programs, there is a disconnect in need of some attention.

A side-by-side of my compost jars for the week
Our weekly compost that ends up in the landfill
At the end of the challenge, we have emptied a 1.5L glass jar full of compost 4 times. That is a total of 6L of compost that went to the landfill instead of to sustainable initiatives. Let's presume for a moment that this is an average for all residents of the townhouse complex where I live. And let's also presume for a moment that there is an average of 2 people/unit. That is 12L of compost multiplied by 90, for a grand total of 1080L of compost unnecessarily headed to the landfill. In just one complex. And in just one week.

Yes, there are alternatives. I could take my compost to the landfill and pay to have it disposed of in a sustainable manner. But the emissions cost to get my 6L of compost there is not necessarily worth the trip. I can also find a compost buddy perhaps at work or through social activities who has access to a green bin or compost. I could also take my compost to a local organization for drop off. However, the latter two suggestions neither scale, nor address the need for a long-term sustainable solution within our community (nor does my temporary solution of running it to City Hall's compost bin on my lunch break... however, if everyone tried that for a week, maybe... just maybe :)).

Fortunately, I will soon have some time available to be re-allocated to other passions. [Disposable] coffee cups and compost... be ready!



Comments